From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:46:09 -0600
Allen said:
> The current price bump is due to quality problems with Chinese honey.

Although the drought is a big factor as Jim pointed out the Chinese honey
quality problem IS the big reason for the  huge price spike.

Migratory beekeepers are in less of a drought problem as we have got other
options. I am in according to the map Jim posted an area of extreme severe
drought. If rain does not come before the third week of April we will get a
small crop (if any) in our area. Later rains will be too late for the spring
clover crop.

Many packers have long hid the huge amount of Chinese honey coming into the
U.S. from beekeepers AND the general public.

Several have *said* all the honey they sell in the U.S. is only U.S. honey.
A fact often disputed by their employees in private conversation.

It is my OPINION that the time has come for the FDA to take off the *kid
gloves* with a few packers.

 Going around the China tariffs is bad enough.

EXAMPLE:
Viet Nam was  the largest exporter of honey to the U.S. last year. Viet Nam
must have had the "mother of all honey crops"

Going around the tariffs and bringing in China honey known to be
contaminated should be jail time. Certainly an all time low for certain
honey packers.

Hands were slapped when certain packers were caught adding fructose a few
years back to increase profits.

The confiscation of almost $300,000 of China honey this week is an excellent
first step. Hardly a slap on the wrist.

I posted on BEE-L that honey is on a 3 year watch list and a local packer
honey was sampled. The FDA may sample almost every honey sold in most U.S.
stores over the next three years.

I welcome the testing. Do You!

Bob

"Buy local U.S. Honey"