From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 08:42:24 -0500
> While at it, may I add, I wouldn't want certification as it would mean more red tape and gov controls long term

Yes, well, the reason USDA got involved in the first place was because there were thousands of people out there all farming in different ways and calling themselves organic farmers. Therefore, the term organic was meaningless, or meant something different to each person.

By creating nationally accepted standards, not only the farmer but the consumer has some clear idea of what is meant by it. The standards are worked out by industry through discussion and compromise. It makes no sense to condemn others who 're compliance with internationally accepted standards.

The idea that bees should be allowed to die from whatever ails them is not accepted practice in organic farming. Every effort should be made to control pests, not permit them to get out of control and not spread them to your neighbors.

NOT accepted by organic beekeeping is the use of bees from unknown sources. By collecting swarms, you may be introducing non-organic bees, chemical contamination, and exotic pests into your operation.

§ 205.240 Apiculture practice standard.

The application of this practice standard is to regulate the production of bee products, not to require the use of organic bees for organic crop pollination.

Origin of bees
Bee products from an apiculture operation that are to be sold, labeled, or represented as organic must be from colonies and hives which have been under continuous organic management for no less than one year prior to the removal of the bee products from the hive.

Expansion of the apiculture operation may be done by
(i) Purchase of organic hives and bees
(ii) Splitting of existing organic colony to form nucleus colony
(iii) Purchase of nonorganic bees, providing that they undergo a one year transition as
per requirements in §205.240(a)(1).

A producer of organic apiculture products must develop an organic apiculture plan in accordance with the provisions in § 205.201. In addition, the organic apiculture plan must:

(1) Contain a map of the apiary which shows the location of the hives, the forage zone, including the location of organic and wild land, and the surveillance zone, including the location of all non-organic areas and human housing;

(2) Forage Zone: Provide a description of all crops grown, the quantity of organic and/or wild forage to be provided per colony, including the type or types of forage, approximate bloom period, forage density, competing species density, honeybee colony density, colony health, colony strength, topography, and climatic conditions; and any sources of potential contamination located within the 1.8 mile (3 km) forage zone.

(3) Surveillance Zone: Provide a description of crops grown and high risk activities such as sanitary landfills, incinerators, sewage treatment facilities, power plants, golf courses, human housing, towns or cities, land to which prohibited materials are applied, and all other sources of potential contamination located in the surveillance zone of 2.2 miles (3.4 km) beyond the forage zone. Crops produced using excluded methods, deemed by the accredited certifying agent to be attractive to bees, are not permitted on land within the surveillance zone.

Formal Recommendation by the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) to the National Organic Program (NOP)