Date:
Fri, 6 May 2011 09:32:39 -0400
>Clearing a hive of varroa in 7 days is a big selling factor.(Miteaway)

I doubt that this claim will be borne out in practice.

Yes, formic will drop a lot of mites, but anyone thinking that one treatment
will do the job for more than short-term is bound IMO to be disappointed.

We've been through all this before, again and again.  There is no magic
formic bullet.  If there were, we have seen it by now.  Most enthusiasts
sober up eventually and concede that damage that their powerful or
long-term treatment cause exceeds acceptable limits on occasion
and in some cases, frequently.  (I don't know about Mitegone.  I don't
have enough information to comment).

>The only purpose to placing the strips in the brood nest in my opinion is
>the killing of varroa in cells.

Killing varroa in cells seems to have caught a lot of attention, but AFAIK,
all formic treatments kill varroa in cells to some extent, but we have to
ask, "How uniformly -- and how important is this?"

The problem with all such treatments is that the distribution of fumes in
a hive is unpredictable.  Sometimes it is eve, sometimes it is not.
Sometimes we get a poor kill, and sometimes we kill the brood.

IMO, any treatment which attempts to deal with varroa in one treatment
is sufficiently powerful that damage to the bees is a real risk.

This has been borne out in recent tests.