Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:43:38 -0400
>> We did  not use the newspaper, since that is usually a beginner practice,
>> mostly  for people who don't know if the bees will get along or not.

>... I googled combining hives and every one was the newspaper method,
> so most all of us seem to be beginners.

That does not follow.  What that says is that everyone read the same book
and/or that most website advice is written for beginners and inexperienced
beekeepers -- or written to be idiot-proof (not that anything really is, but at
least the writer won't be blamed for not touching the icons of the current
orthodoxy).

FWIW, most pros are out working bees, not reading or writing websites, and
besides, most figure that if you don't know by now or are just starting, you
will need newspaper (and even that may not save you and your bees).

Pros combine colonies all the time without newspaper, and I wonder how
many even have newspaper in the truck except, maybe for lighting smokers.

When I am advising those who are inexperienced or clueless, I always
recommend newspaper, too.  But I let a secret slip and now the word is
out.

Dare you try it?  Can you make it work?

Depends on how good you are at reading your bees and how risk-averse you
are.