From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:10:23 -0400
I tend to agree with Bill regarding candy boards over clusters.  I use a 3
inch rim for overwintering and place a sheet of newspaper over the top bars
and pour in approximately 15-20 pounds of  dry sugar.  I do this in
December when applying OA and if I can see clustered bees that are high up
they get a rim and sugar.  My observations are the sugar then acts to
insulate the hive and rising moisture turns the sugar into a large brick.
The bees usually tunnel up into the hardened sugar and consume it.  I think
they actually enjoy tunneling up in to the sugar on cold days.  Any sugar
that is left is easily collected and dumped into the barrel for suspension
into liquid food.  I have division board feeders in every hive and while
sugar rims are more trouble they are more efficient in terms is usage and
wastage.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC