From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:06:13 -0400
James Fischer wrote:

> Given that we know that hives on the same pallet can show very different
> levels of varroa infestation at the same time, is the IPM equivalent of
> a "crop in a field" a hive, a pallet, or an entire yard?
>
> I honestly don't know.  The usual IPM models of pest/crop interaction
> don't seem to apply well to beekeeping, as some hives are clearly more
> infested than others for no apparent reason.  IPM models assume a much
> more homogenous dispersal of pests within the "crop" than beekeepers
> have among hives.

The Beekeepers in Maine were asked to join an Ag group that was set up
to act as a single voice for agriculture in lobbying state government. I
   pushed for our inclusion and we were welcomed. What was most
interesting was how small our voice was even with the amplification of
the group.

Beekeeping is small business in Agriculture, compared to the rest of the
community. That is reflected in the number of controls we have for our
pests and any good, unified IPM program for the control of Varroa. Large
Ag business are not interested in a small market. With all the darts
thrown at the giant chemical companies, we should be glad that they are
around, since the small companies could not afford to provide the
beekeeping market with controls.

Stating the obvious, IPM is not just when to apply pesticides but also
the rotation of controls, development of resistant crops, genetic
modification, use of biological controls, use of weather/temperature,
etc.. It is Integrated. There is work being done in some of these areas
in beekeeping but there is no single voice in the US suggesting an IPM
program for beekeeping under our current conditions. It is a piecemeal
approach. Apistan, then cumophose, then.... as each loses its
effectiveness.

We do have a single "crop" and one size could fit all. There are
National beekeeping organizations that might take the development of an
IPM program for beekeepers under their wing. It would be nice to see a
program for rotation of controls on a national level, but then we run
into the problem Jim has addressed. We just do not have the controls in
every State because of our lack of economic clout. That gets us back to
the National Beekeeping organizations.

It would also be a program that is not static, just as IPM programs for
other commodities are not static. Which means it will not be a one shot
program but will have to be sustained.

Medhat set up such a program for a group of Canadian Beekeepers. It was
IPM at its best with controls, breeding and cooperation of beekeepers to
make it work. It would be nice to see the same in the US.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine