From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:28:54 -0700
>Although IPM approaches have always included insecticide tools, there are
other approaches that can be effectively incorporated with IPM giving
chemicals the position of the last resort in the chain of preferred options
that need be applied first. Note that the current practice of seed
treatment is the opposite: it applies chemicals as the first applied option
instead of the last resort.

I wholeheartedly concur with the above statement in general.  I'd like to
hear from any actual growers on the List (off list replies are fine) what
the practical aspects are, exactly what your alternatives are, and the
relative costs.

Prior to seed treatments, crop rotation was frequently used, as well as
spraying of organophosphates, carbamates, and pyrethroids.  Nowadays, we're
hearing from Europe that growers are being forced to resort to additional
spraying.  I'm curious about the reality from the viewpoint of actual corn,
soy, canola growers.

Thanks in advance.

--
Randy Oliver