From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:41:39 -0700
Hi Bob and Jim,

Thanks for the reports, Bob.  Could I suggest that everyone look for unusual
symptoms in brood, especially if there is a spotty pattern.  Several
inapparent virus infections will kill brood, but researchers that I've asked
have documented that brood dies, but haven't noticed the symptoms.  I'm
seeing, as I said before, odd-looking dying larvae, propupae, and pupae.

And as Bob said, early signs of DWV--adults with curly wings in spring.

Jim P., could I ask what your nosema sample sizes were in fall, and from
where you took the bees?  Trying to figure out how you may have missed an
infection.  Also, any other anomalies that you noticed in your bees or
brood?

We out here in Calif have a head start on most of you as far as spring
recovery of our bees.  I'm curious to hear reports as spring arrives further
east and north.

Randy Oliver