Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:39:58 GMT
>>a hive that collected a full box of pollen (10 frames)...all in the bottom box...

Interesting.  I've not seen an entire box full of just pollen, especially in the bottom box.  Is it intermixed with honey?  If your bees are still raising brood they will use up quite a bit of this pollen.  Especially if sources of pollen diminish.

>>Would that pollen box be detrimental for wintering ?

I see pollen and honey stored in the same frames in varying proportions.  Have not seen extra pollen to be a problem for overwintering, as long as there's enough stored honey, and the pollen will be very beneficial during the spring build-up.

Is the pollen topped off with honey and capped?  Cured pollen, or bee bread, keeps well through the winter although pollen quality degrades over time.  Some plant pollen is better than other.

If it's packed, dry pollen, I've seen it grow mold in the late winter/ early spring in our humid Long Island, if the bees are not able to maintain a low moisture level on frames outside of the cluster.  Bees will then raze entire sections of molded pollen cells - both pellets of pollen and wax - to the foundation.  The pellets and debris will litter the bottom board until they are removed outside.  The combs will have to be re-drawn in these areas.

If you feed syrup, and don't disturb the nest, the bees will arrange the stores in the best way [for their cluster size and location in the hive].

Waldemar