From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:34:08 -0500
Greetings,
        I confess I am a little surprised at the way organic honey
has been defined by non-beekeepers. I assumed that they would have
some standards regarding beekeeping practices. When I called a local
organic farming organization, the representative told me that I could
raise organic honey in my area because of the crop spraying. When I
said i thought that most of the honey was made from wild trees like
locust and basswood, she said that didn't matter.
        I agree that it is wrong to assume that honey is chemical
free if it has never been tested - I also agree that it is wrong to
assume that it is tainted, simply because of the practices of farmers
a few miles down the road. If they are going to be this demanding I
don't see how there can be any organic food at all, since there are
traces of chemicals in the water and air everywhere now.
        One would think organic standards would be based on the
presence or non-presence of some detectable, harmful substance. Not
based on vague assertions.
--
PB