From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 05:33:16 -0800
I get asked this question, "Why did my bees die?" as well mostly at the time of that first spring inspection.

But it is usually followed up with another questions, "Do you suppose I got that CCD thing?"

Out of respect for their concern, and to help validate their desire to be good beekeepers,  I'll ask some preliminary questions to clarify things.  I'll ask,

"When was the last time you opened the hive?  What did they look like then?"
"Was there any honey left?"
"Were the bees all stuck in the comb, head first?"
"How big was the ball of bees that died?"
"What treatments did you give the hive last fall?"  --which is usually answered by "none."

Sometimes the questions help verify possible and potential problems.  But my best answer is often, "Hard to tell without opening the hive, and even then we may not know."  Then I usually add, "We all lose bees from time to time and it really bothers me when it happens to me."

Then I review good beekeeping practices, fall management and winter management.  The neglect, whether intentional or not, of good beekeeping skills gives me a better idea than trying to diagnose a post-mortem.

I think, particularly with beginners, we need to be encouraging with the positive, proactive practices as opposed to probing the mysteries of something they may not be describing with full accuracy.  They may not know what to look for.

Grant
Jackson, MO