Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:55:23 PDT
Hello Gang,

Working bare handed is a test of will and faith for a new beekeeper.
As a new beekeeper I used gloves and found it awkward and clumsy.
More experienced beekeepers did not wear gloves and did not get
stung very often. I have a beekeeper friend who is determined to
NEVER get stung. I can not talk her into working gloveless even
though I do that while working with her side by side.

The following is a good way to begin working bare handed and
at the same time avoid most stings. Not all, but most of them!
Save the ashes from your smoker. I use the ubiquitous pine needle
as fuel. It smokes like crazy and is free for the raking.

Pour cold ashes from your smoker into your hands and rub them into
your skin like you were washing your hands. No need to apply any
water. Use ashes only. Turn your hands black with the stuff making
sure you applied ashes between your fingers. Any bee landing on your
hand will not remain there long. Yes, you can squeeze a bee accidentally
and it will sting you.

You will be more deft of hand in handling frames. You will find yourself
working slower and more carefully, thus irritating the bees less, resulting
in fewer stings. I am usually surprised by how few stings I get.
I often resort to deliberately placing bees on my arms to take a few
stings. I do this because I usually swell up when my sting quota is low.
If I take stings on a regular basis I don't swell up as much.

 Try the ashes trick, you wil be happy you did.

Ernie Gregoire "Beekeeper," definition= partially brave,

                            partially excentric

Grist Mill Apiary

Canaan, New Hampshire, USA

04/08/99 09:55:23