From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:27:42 -0800

> > I have found it wise to place the new box
> under.  Prolific queens will go down when they need the space and I see
> better results.

Thanks Allen.  Although I find your rationale to be of interest, what I
have often found is that human rationalization for bee management actions
if often found to be faulty.

What I value are your actual observations, such as that above.

When preparing doubles for almonds in late winter, the temptation is to
reverse the brood chambers of colonies that have moved into the upper
chamber, since the cluster would often quickly expand upward.   But ever
since we discussed this subject previously, I've questioned  whether that
was a good idea after all.  Since then I've often just removed the lower
brood chamber if the cluster is not large, in order to allow the bees
better access to the entrance (to add a chamber back at a later date).

Could you please expand upon what you actually observed when adding the
second brood chambers above or below when you were building package
colonies?
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA