From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2015 06:54:16 -0400
> I guess my question would be....  with this ban can ALL importation of any kind of honeybee actually be totally stopped?

Hi all
This was my thought, too, initially. Bans and quarantines haven't been popular in the past because they haven't worked and because they interfere with legitimate activities. So, from that perspective I think most beekeepers oppose government regulations regarding their right to put bees wherever they want to (with permission, of course).

On the other hand, this seems like an effort to preserve a unique population, which is an admirable goal. Of course, one wonders on what basis you can justify the preservation of a non-native population. Ultimately, it does seem to circle back to the self interest of local beekeepers.

In some states there are restrictions on apiary placement to prevent infringement and overstocking. Other states, like NY, have no registration requirements and no rules on encroachment. In fact, the woods are so thick here in summer you can drive by an yard of bees and not even know it's there.

Ultimately, I submit a protectionist ordinance like this would fail any legal challenge, but as they say: it's a moot point if nobody has any objection to it.

PLB