From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 12:10:00 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "randy oliver"

> 3.  Both rosin and microcrystalline wax have different physical properties
> than paraffin, which may make their addition improve the weatherproofing
> of
> wood.  Does anyone have hard data on this?

As far as I know there has been no work done on wax dipping (as a
preservative) here, so no hard data.

Many moons ago when I was getting my PhD in beekeeping by working for Norm
Rice, he said IIRC that the microcrystalline was to make the dipping
material
more pliable, rather like beeswax.  Presumably to allow the expansion and
contraction of the timber in the field.  Painting also helped this, thus
avoiding cracking of the timber.

Painting was done with a plastic paint immediately after the boxes had
finished draining, and were still hot.

He had considered using copper in the mix, but was concerned about the
effect of the hot mix fumes on the (human) workers.

Norm liked the dipping because one had a box ready, and waiting to go on the
bees within minutes.

Copper napthanate is the usual preservative here.

Geoff Manning