From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:49:01 -0500
Michael wrote:
 I believe it a bad plan to make hay from sweet clover.

Greetings!
I confess: I know nothing about hay. Around here, it seems like they just cut
whatever comes up and if they plant anything at all for hay, they plant
alfalfa. I used to think alfalfa was not much use to bees in this area
(Upstate NY), though it is a terrific honey plant out west. But two summers
ago a beekeeper told me he got a good crop from alfalfa in our area.

We have almost no wild sweet clover around here, I guess the soil type is
factor. Not very much clover of any kind, in fact, though a hundred years ago
this used to be called the white clover region -- along with Massachusetts
and Ohio.

Anyway, I always thought there were billions of acres of sweet clover planted
out somewhere in the midwest, Montana and the like, and that it was used for
hay. I guess this can't be right. Anyone want to straighten me out?

pb