From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:30:37 +0000
In article <001101c283d2$fe8e3aa0$2984fc3e@default>, Harry Goudie
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I believe it to be correct that bees do better in polystyrene hives than
>wooden hives.

I have proved it to my own satisfaction beyond a shadow of doubt, from
an initial position of being seriously sceptical, even negative.  I
erected all the straw men in my mind that I am hearing here, only to
have them demolished by the bees level of prosperity in the boxes, and
the surprising durability of an apparently soft and fragile hive. I got
a surprise.  If it is good enough to get my cheque book open for other
than a trial lot then it must be OK in my own situation. (Nothing more
annoying than someone who has 'seen the light', is there?)

> I don't think ecological threat posed but the material is
>very great especially since I assume that the numbers of poly hives is
>relatively small.
It will already be approaching 5% of the hives in Scotland, and growing
rapidly. I know of plans to set up a very large number of colonies
imminently in a new venture, and a mould for BS sizes (National and
Smith) is under design and build at this time for a launch next spring.
Once these are available I alone will be converting over 1000 more.

Prices are now sensible, less than wood in fact, and this will be the
growth sector in bees in Scotland over the next couple of decades. The
new one piece designs are really strong and tough, at least as strong as
wooden ones and will literally last forever if looked after. A lifespan
of 100 years or more is quite feasible (if one can presume to see that
far ahead). Due to the productivity increase and reduced bee losses, the
poly guys will have a marked advantage in viability and will expand at
the expense of those who do not make the transition.

>  However it is another contaminant in the works and it
>would seem wise to avoid any risks.  I have played around with polystyrene
>in the past and it does produce a lot of nasty fumes when burned.  I also
>produces a lot of  unsightly litter and is slow to decompose.  However the
>litter does not seem to be toxic so it is just an offence to the senses.

Read Jorns post. They do not need to become this litter or contaminant,
and in any case, relative to the big picture this is absolutely nothing.

>think wooden hives are the best option for the amateur beekeeper and I think
>that professional beekeeping will dwindle in the future.

I beg to differ. On both points.

Bees do not know whether they are professional or amateur run, thus
similar criteria apply to both sectors. If the bees do best in polys it
matters not one jot if it is an amateur or a pro who is running them.
Perhaps you are a traditionalist at heart and HOPE that wooden hives are
never superceded, and in truth they will never be entirely replaced, but
the proportion of polystyrene hives is set to rise sharply and I expect
it to at least reach parity some time in the future. From a selfish
point of view, the fewer people who convert the better, as it locks
people into the lower productivity levels and keeps the price I get for
my crop nice and high.

Professional beekeeping will continue, perhaps with wrinkles on the
pattern, but if the world requires honey on the shop shelves, there will
be professional beekeepers out there somewhere to provide it. The market
will float up and down, and high unit cost beekeepers may suffer from
time to time, but on a global basis there will be something approaching
balance.

--
Murray McGregor