From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:13:25 -0500
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:03:55 -0600, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I can honestly say that before the new neonicotinoids came on the scene
>(imidacloprid in 1994 in U.S. registered by Bayer) the sprays used on most
>crops posed only a slight risk to the consumer.

I manage 1800 apple trees in Mn along with 300 colonies as my full time profession.

I disagree with Bob's comments above.

Organophosphates are an off shoot of nerve gas made in the early 1900's . Various environmental
groups have pushed to have this class of chemicals delisted for use after about 2012. Ironically
the neonicotinoids were developed as a more environmentally freindly alternative to the
posionous organophosphates.

Contrast this with neonicotinoids

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.45.120403.095930

&#9642; Abstract  The neonicotinoids, the newest major class of insecticides, have outstanding potency
and systemic action for crop protection against piercing-sucking pests, and they are highly
effective for flea control on cats and dogs. Their common names are acetamiprid, clothianidin,
dinotefuran, imidacloprid, nitenpyram, thiacloprid, and thiamethoxam. They generally have low
toxicity to mammals (acute and chronic), birds, and fish.

In short neonicotinoids are safer to humans then organophosphates.

In the upper midwest few apple growers use neonicotinoids since they are very expensive and only
work on plant sucking pests.  The 3 main disease and pest problems here are scab, apple maggot
and codling moth ...none of which can be controlled with neonicotinoids.

Its a non issue in my book at least with apples in this region.

Citrus though is another story. There are several emerging new pests attacking the citrus
industry.  when I spoke to a FL Ag dept citrus expert last year he indicated that use of neonicotinoids is growing but the cost issue is real there too.