From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:50:23 -0700
> Drifting would understandably occur, but it isn't much of a problem, I
> guess, if the colonies are all strong.  Of course then you could always
> tack some various-colored designs or whatnot to the hive fronts, above
> the entrances.

We actually avoid markers and stick to white hives, because markers cause
havoc when reversing, etc.  We just try to arrange the four packs so that
drifting does not cause unevenness.

*Occasionally* we'll see a yard much taller on one end than another if the
only flow is very much in one particular direction, but normally, the
hives are pretty even.

> I wonder if you have screened drain/vent holes in the floors fixed to
> the pallets,

I made the mistake of making floors that were too watertight many years ago
and then dipped them in paraffin to boot.  I had to drill them with 3/8"
holes (no screens), since otherwise, if they got tipped at all back, the
hives suffered badly.

> and if you prefer the pallets which leave a bit of space between the
> colonies, or the ones on which the hives are set right next/against each
> other.

As far as the bees are concerned, they don't care, but we find that the
telescoping lids are best in wet years, and therefore like the space.

We have *sloped* floors on our favourite pallets, and the hives are
far enough apart to allow using telescoping lids with a 3/4 inch gap
between the lids for fingers, etc..

On trucks, the main consideration is weight, not volume, so crowding the
hives tight is not important to us from the perspective of efficient

> I have also seen pallets used where each colony entrance was 90 degrees
> from its neighbor, like
>
> | -
> _ |     but it requires more space, and is not so straightforward in
> design.

That's really the best for the bees, except you have a North facing hive
and that can be poor in some circumstances and locations.  You also have
to walk around to work the next hive. And the pallets are an odd shape to
load on trucks (48" + 48" = 96" and that is just 6" shy of legal max
width and thus ideal).

> Are you using Swinger-type lifts with the palletized hives?

Yes, and we have hydraulic hold downs to ensure that tall stacks don't
shift. (But they sometimes do).

> Maybe I shouldn't ask, but I am curious if you or others you know have
> had any notable mishaps while loading or unloading this way.  Presumably
> they don't have any supers on when you are shifting them, so they are
> relatively short stacks on the pallets.

Not always, but it doesn't matter how you move bees -- you have to drop
around 1% to stay awake ;)

> Just visited a yard of 12 colonies a few miles away.  The bees are flying
> pretty heavily, and have piled up the dead out front of the entrances.
> It is very windy, and some colonies are noticeably stronger than others,
> judging by flight. I hope they are as active come April.

> By tomorrow this time we will be below freezing with snows forecast.
> Nice to have a break once in a while, tho'.  Up in VE6-land, do you get
> occasional days above freezing, or does it tend to be more or less below
> freezing (or below zero!) for extended periods?

Have to get out again soon.  Much snow here, but days are above freezing.
Nights to minus 10 Celcius (14 F?)

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey,Bees&Art<http://www.internode.net/allend/>