From:
John Iannuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:33:48 -0500
This message is really for Pedro in Va. Beach.

I was talking to Dr. Hachiro Shimanuki of the
Beltsville Bee Lab, last night (mon9feb981945)
at local bee meeting where he was principal speaker.
I asked Shim specifically: Can I use mineral oil to
treat BOTH tracheal mite and Varroa mite
[I've been using vegetable oil to
treat for T-mite ever since its appearance in Maryland--
at least 10 years ago and Apistan strips for V-mite.]

Replied Shim: I dunno. The jury is out on that one.
Don't throw away your Apistan strips yet.

For your information. Hey, unless I misread your post,
you have been using M ineral  G rade  O il to treat both
pests for a year and a half???

Yes, I do recall that Miticur used to be available, years ago,
for that dual purpose.

Muchas gracias.

**John Iannuzzi, Ph.D.
**38 years in apiculture
**12 hives of Italian honeybees
**At Historic Ellicott City, Maryland, 21042, U.S.A. (10 miles west of
   Baltimore, Maryland) [9772 Old Annapolis Rd - 410 730 5279]
**"Forsooth there is some good in things evil
   For bees extract sweetness from the weed" -- Bard of Avon
**Website: http://www.xmetric.com/honey
**Email: [log in to unmask] [1jan981031est]