From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:52:45 -0600
> >The allogrooming behaviour described and evaluated
> is > >very similar to Seeley's description. But its
> efficiency was not sufficient to explain the
> tolerance > phenomenon.

<I am afraid I was unclear. I was specifically refering
<to the Vandame's study and varroar resitance
phenomenon in his area.

I have not yet  read the study so am still in the dark.

.> In his case, AHB in Mexico,
varroa resistance was not due to grooming alone.

I would say its safe to say all researchers looking at varroa tolerance by
bees would agree grooming alone is not enough for the bees to survive varroa
long term.

I am only going to give my opinion and welcome others opinions. Having not
read the study yet I can't be sure of the way the below statements were used
in text but will reply directly to the below statement.

>Hygienic factor was the main reason for varroa
population control by bees.

A very broad term which needs broken down further. Did his bees handle
varroa as cerana does by removing infested brood or the two types of
grooming behavior or all three?

 >But it seems it ws
different for AHB in Brasil.

I have said many times on BEE-L that one of the main reasons AHB handle
varroa is the constant swarming and abscounding. Each swarm or abscound
reduces the varroa load bacause  at the time of leaving most varroa is in
the brood cells and not on bees. If you understand that *normally* a hive
can handle varroa for two years before crashing then you can see the point I
make. Swarming & abscounding is a big reduction in varroa load.

So I was not questionning your work.

I realize you weren't although many do which is ok. I always post honest
observations and hope the observations will help others  on the list
searching for answers to todays tough beekeeping problems. Through Bee-L I
have connected with researchers & beekeepers looking for answers to the same
questions which has been a big help to me.
Also please feel free to disagree with what ever I post you disagree with. I
 am a vetern of years of heated discussions with other beekeepers  in
officies, over the phone ,beer joints and at national conventions. Bee-L is
for discussion and every opinion on Bee-L is important!

>Just a small hobbyist beekeeper.

Your knowledge level is far above most hobbyist!

Number of hives has little to do with knowledge except the larger the number
of cattle, hogs or hives you manage the larger the number of problems you
most likely will encounter first hand adding to your direct knowledge of
certain subjects.

Words of wisdom from my 90 year old first beekeeping mentor talking to me as
a teenager:

"After God creates a beekeeper he breaks the mold making each beekeeper
different and special"

"As you follow the beekeeping path you will understand my words"

I have lived by the above. I always look forward to meeting beekeepers as I
have found each has been  different as my mentor said!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison