From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:07:39 -0400

>  I got questioned about buying a canary, hamster and my parents had to
> answer a lot of questions when they picked up a puppy from a local animal
> shelter, both times.

The last Golden Retriever we purchased, from a private breeder, required an
application process to be put on the waiting list. The application required
information about ages, monthly income, work schedule and title,
house/apartment size, yard size, years of "dog experience," family size and
so on. And this wasn't for a show dog. Just a good old fashioned family
dog. Seemed a little excessive to me, but I could understand. The breeder
had more customers than dogs, so they wanted to find good homes for them.

If I did the same thing with nucs, I'd be laughed at. Last time I bought a
nuc I was asked to present a check and given a date I'd need to pick them
up. That's it.

Best practices probably fall somewhere in the middle.