From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2014 09:40:25 +0100
Another source which shows great variability here is the lime tree (Tilia
spp).  This can give a major flow in some years (especially in cities like
Birmingham where the streets are lined with them), whilst yielding very
little in others.

The flower is a small, open, downward-facing bell.  Rain does not wash out
the nectar, but warm, dry breezy conditions will cause it to dry up; the
bees then work it until perhaps 10am, but then become very irritable as the
heat of the day dries up the nectar.

So many variables that are not always obvious to us.  Here in the Midlands
at the moment we have clover and bramble in full flower, the weather is warm
(up to 25C max, 11C min) and settled with very light winds and we might
expect a really strong flow, yet the bees are only just maintaining
themselves; combs can be held horizontally and no nectar runs out.  Why?  No
significant rain since 8 June.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W