From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 19:11:34 -0400
This thread began with a post questioning the role of global warming and
CCD.  I have nothing to contribute regarding that.

But since it has moved to "The role of global warming", I would offer some
comments regarding its role in beekeeping in general.

When I was on beekeeping mentoring assignments in the Philippines the
effect of typhoons on beehives was very evident.  Several projects lost all
or almost all their hives in typhoons.  I figured PEI is a pretty windy
spot (we now get about 30% of our electricity from wind) and I have had
whole stands of hives blow over in a hurricane, but just went out after the
storm and set them back up without much problem (although some covers were
never seen again, and all had bricks on them).  So I was having trouble
understanding this loss.  Then I saw shots of a storm on Negros in a movie
about a German beekeeping project there.  There was water everywhere.
Whole hillsides looked likes streams and waterfalls.  Lots of beekeepers
lose hives from flooding.  And drought is very hard on hives.  In Africa
bees often abscond during a drought.  I imagine drought and bush fires in
Australia are pretty severe problems (I know Geoff Manning you were talking
about CCD in your post, and not effects on beekeeping in general).

My point is that yes bees are extremely adaptable, but one effect of global
warming is an increase in frequency of extreme weather events and this is
going to affect bees and beekeepers.  Maybe there will be an increase in
the number of beekeepers on PEI once the oyster and mussel fisheries get
hammered by ocean acidification.

Stan