From:
Mark Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:35:57 -0500
At 12:37 PM 2/26/2002 +0000, Peter wrote:

>Have to disagree with your comments regarding evolution!
>A mite or anything else that undergoes any change in its genetic base,
>causing a change in metabolic pathways - has moved along the path of
>evolution, even though it may not show external changes

At the risk of fanning flames in a touchy area of science, I'd have to
agree that minor adaptive changes within a species are indeed
evolution--the only evolution that is proven. Speciation caused by such
changes is merely a theoretical explanation of the diversity which we see
today.

Such resistance development as mites are showing is a crucial part of the
preservation of a species. Unfortunately, we can often aid the development
of resistance through our ignorance, hubris and carelessness, as we
regularly have done through misuse of antibiotics on human and domestic
animal pests.

Mark Payton