Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:22:48 -0400
 > It is looking more like lack of food/starvation...

Starvation can be the end point of many different conditions.  Have you
examined the brood combs carefully for AFB or PMS?  Sick hives don't
forage well and eventually may starve, but in such cases, starvation is
not the root cause.

 > > > A crew has been hired by the power company to clear trees from
the lines and my husband said he saw them spraying as well.
 >  but I am wondering too what effects spraying would have on *any*
hive?  Personally, it would be nice to know what the crew is using in
their tanks...

Chances are almost 100% that it is a herbicide.  The amount they use and
where they use it  is extremely unlikely to have had any significant
effect on your bees.   I'd leave the Power company alone and take a good
look at your hives instead.

"Were my bees poisoned or starved???"

My guess is neither.