From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:39:19 -0500
 Allen posted  concerning workers piping:
Try

> http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0111D&L=bee-l&P=R548

Interesting observation by Trevor . I on the other hand have never heard a
worker make a piping sound.

However when Trevor says  "is the piping sound we call queen calling
actually the workers" that the story has problems.

Trevor sites his experience as being around many queens  with attendants.
Although I have got the same experience I also have experience with hundreds
of queens without attendants (battery box queens less workers) piping away.

I have also been involved with a large incubator full of queens (without
attendants) piping.

I have been around pounds and pounds of queenless bees with never the first
piping sound.

I do not dispute that Trevor did not hear a worker piping (I never have) but
do dispute the hypothesis he presented in his post that it might be the
attendants doing the piping and not the queen.

Comments Trevor?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison