From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:05:20 -0500
The Kelley pail heater is made by Acra Electric.  The manufacturer says it
will heat water to 185 degrees and they have not tested it on honey, but the
maximum should be lower because of the higher density.  I have used it for 2
years.  It will melt a slight dent in a 5 gallon bucket, which is why Kelley
advises putting aluminum flashing between it and the pail.

However, twice by accident I have left it on when I went home for the night.
This is with the top loosely sitting on the pail.  On both occasions the
honey was heated to 150 degrees in the morning, and the pail was dented, but
intact.

The Dadant pail heater has a thermostat preset at 125 degrees so is probably
a better choice for most; although this will take longer to liquefy a pail
completely granulated.

  Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.