From:
Richard Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:52:00 -0700
That is reassuring, Chris. I'm in southern California, in a small canyon
in the northwest region of Los Angeles. The seasons are really good here
for bees and the only threats are varroa and the possibility of
Africanization, though the AHBs are still well south (100 kilometers, more
or less). I lost the last two seasons to varroa and I intend to be
*religious* about using Apistan, the legal application here in America.

I work full time (forty hours a week here) and always look forward to
fiddling with my bees on the weekends. I give my honey away at Christmas
time and enjoys it year round. We probably have the same problems. My
biggest is ants during the summer, when it is awfully dry here. Strong
colonies have no problem, but my new hive has to be protected from them. I
use a stand and "Tanglefoot" on the legs of the stand, but you have to
check often, as ants are the most ingenious creatures ... the slightest
opportunity allows them access to the hive.

What about England? Are the problems similar? I've added the bee list to
distribution, as they may be interested in this discussion.
--
Richard
www.primenet.com/~rspear