From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 10:56:48 PST
>I suspect that the Usenet group will just point the way to BEE-L, entice
>many to clutter both distribution methods with unwanted drivel, and
>denigrate the quality of BEE-L.

My experience with lists mentioned in the Usenet groups (sewing group,
antiques group, brewing group, etc.) is that exactly the opposite happens.
It take a certain effort to subscribe to a list---which isn't in the
mentality of the disruptors.  Also, you don't have to mention BEE-L a lot.
I can see putting it in the FAQ, but otherwise it leaves the option of
telling people that there is a serious, scientific list elsewhere.

The alt.sewing group periodically gets harrassed by the net.kiddies, but
I've never seen them bleed off into the mailing lists.  Most simply kill
file the drivel.

Of course, a *Serious Socially Disfunctional Net Terrorist* will find you
anywhere, anyway, list or no, because these guys get their jollies from
disrupting society.  However, most of them eventually end up in Federal
Prison ;-) or get their access pulled.  (Ask me about Clarence Thomas IV...)

Okay, every now and then we get folks on the mead-lovers list asking about
beer or wine, but that's minimal, and they get steered (in email) elsewhere.

I'm a tech writer by trade, so I know that there is a mass-market audience
and a technical audience.  Usenet is mass market (think "Popular Mechanics.").
The bee-l is technical (think trade journal, e.g. "The American Journal of
Ethnobotany").

I intend to monitor both.

 Jane Beckman  [[log in to unmask]]