From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:23:58 -0500
I had an interesting experience with waste sugar. Yard was located on a
dairy farm. The farmer was into feeding his cattle all sorts of waste
sugars. Almond Joy and Milky Way chocolate bars by the truck load!.
Guess they loved it. A pharmaceutical company gave him barrels of a
recovered sugar solution used in coating their pills. The syrup was
mostly sucrose, with microcrystaline cellulose, titanium dioxide, dyes,
etc. Pure, it was white in color. The farmer was sloppy with it. Left
barrels open, spilled it on the ground etc. The bees loved it!! Saw a
little in the hives when I supered. Thought it odd. When I supered the
second time, the first supers were full and capped. When I took off the
"crop," all the supers were full of "it." This in a bad year. There was
so much of it, that I thought it was honey. Extracting mixed it with
good honey. Bad move! All said and done, I had almost 150- 60's of
"white" honey. And I mean white like snow! Had it tested by an
agricultural lab. Full of titanium. No one wanted to take blame. Finally
got the company to admit negligence. Lucky me. They paid in full. Also
lucky, the crystalline cellulose made it crystalize reall fast, so ai
could identify it easily. So anyway, watch out when feeding waste
products. Also if you have any honey that doesn't look quite right
investigate. Don't just process.  Mike