From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:12:34 -0400
Brad Young asked:

> My question is two fold:  first, how much wind does it take to blow hives
> over that are 4 deeps high (open ended question, I know, but
> generalizations are welcomed)

We get some gusty days and nights here in the mountains of Virginia,
but nothing that would compare with Nebraska.  For example, no one
here has ever complained of having a hive tool blown out of their hand.  :)

Unless secured or weighted, the outer (and shortly thereafter, the inner)
cover will blow off long before the hive would be in danger of blowing over.
(This happened to me my first beekeeping winter. One brick was not
enough.  The inner cover ended up about 50 yards downwind.)  I'd suggest
putting a cinder block on top of each hive, just as cheap short-term insurance.

If you are worried about entire hives blowing over, first, check how level
your bottom board is.  A slight slant towards the front is a good thing
for dealing with rain, but it need not be much more than 1/2 bubble off
level.  If you are still worried, you could drive stakes on either side of
each hive, and use a "ratchet strap" to secure the hive.

> I am thinking of moving the hives off the crest and down on the leeward side
> of the slope near a tree line this winter.  In so doing, though, they would not
> get sun on the hive until a couple hours later in the morning (9:00-10:00ish).
> Is it more important to get them out of the wind or get them morning sun?

The issue is one of trade-offs, but in your case, it sounds like the leeward side
of the slope is a very good idea.  Some people look for existing wind breaks,
but if you have none, even a minor dip in the terrain could help.