From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:21:00 -0500
Allan and all....:)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Allen Dick wrote:

<snip>
> Having said that, I return to the subject: wintering.  In addition to
> having a strain of bees that are selected for not having terrible
> wintering characteristics, several other equally important factors
> must be considered:  Nutrition, population demographics, and health.
>
> Bees need immense amounts of balanced protein and they usually make
> do with what is in the locale.  This means that they may be
> chronically undernourished.  This condition is not immediately
> apparent, unless one has a clear idea of what well nourished bees
> look like; they are bigger, stronger, and smarter.
>
> It is not enough to just have good forage or feed supplements for a
> week or two now and then, but to build and maintain  a powerful
> hive, good nutrition must bee available for several generations and
> preferrably continuously during the year.  Any lapse in good feed
> will weaken the colony and make it more subject to disease and
> environment.
<etc>

Since I lost all 3 colonies last winter, I have made every effort to have
the new ones as healthy and full of honey as possible.  I have the strips
in, have been feeding 2:1 sugar with TM and FUM and all there is to do now
is some wrapping.
One thing I havent previously considered was protien.  There seems to be
adequate pollen around my area but given your post quoted above I was
wondering what you or anyone can say about what one should feed.  I have
an old copy of "The Hive and the Honeybee" but I was wondering if there
was any new thoughts on the recipe for pollen substitute.
I am not sure if Allen will get this.  He didnt respond to a previous
posts<humourous> and I fear I may be on his "Ignore List"; perhaps
deservedly....;) but unintentionally..:)

Anyhow, any thoughts would be appreciated...

                     @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                    @        Ian Watson           @
                 @  THREE BEES:                      @
                @     Bach singer           ,///      @