From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 14:28:20 -0500
The 20 single story hives which I made up as splits with queen cells are
doing well.  Maybe TOO well.  A few of the queens have started laying.  BUT
-- the black locust (wonderful) flow has been long and heavy.  So whilst
waiting for their queens to emerge and get to work, guess what my little
friends have done?  Yup; in many cases almost completely filled the single
brood chambers with honey!  So much so that there are precious few cells
for the queens to lay in.  It was quite a sight to lift lid after lid and
be greeted with rows of bulging, pure white capped combs.

Q:  Will the bees move this honey to make room for the brood??!
I have added a honey super over an excluder on each hive with hopes that
they will.  Much of the honey clogging the brood chamber is capped already.
On one hive it was so bad I gave the queen (laying) a new empty brood
chamber under the honey filled one.  Still, I was hoping to keep these to
one story and move them easily once there were a few combs going well with
brood.  Any suggestions appreciated -- figures there's such a great flow of
light honey after such a lossy winter!    Cheers,   JWG