From:
Predrag Cvetkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:43:02 +0200
Predrag:
> >>Personally, I use upper entrances and the hives are without vents
> on inner covers.

Waldemar:
> Please describe in more detail how you do this.  Also, do you use top
> insulation or wrap your hives?

Hello Waldemar and All
If bees winter in one box, I usually put an bottom rack about 10cm (4
inches) high or similar, between hive body and the bottom board. My first
five hives had slatted bottom racks 5cm (2 inches) high, so that idea was
permanently interesting to me. The entrances are on the hive body, diameter
is 3cm (about 1'' 1/4).
When wintering in two boxes, the entrance is on the higher one.
Inner covers are made of masonite, but I think about using wood or thick
natural canvas. There is a hole for the feeder, not for ventilation.
Yes, I use top insulation, some papers or styrofoam.
Winters are not so harsh here, so we don't wrap our hives.

Best wishes
Predrag