From:
Howard McGinnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:28:12 -1000
I tried an external trap using a variety of 'attractants', including fresh
comb, brood comb, old wax, slime as well as SHB larvae. My trap was
designed based on an observation that SHB seemed to be attracted to wax
while being rendered (possibly volatile compounds?). I tried heating, fans
blowing scents out and no SHB seemed to be attracted. I resurrected the
project and did manage to get, I think, fruit fly larvae to develop. My
hives at the house in Waimanalo are loaded so I need to get motivated.

How are the SHB in the hive? Is it possible that the pollen traps are
convenient hiding places where the bees can't get to the beetle. When
there's pollen, they migrate to the traps, otherwise stay hidden in the
hive?

We've got maybe a month left before the rains set in here, I'll try to put
a trap on and see if I get the same results.

On a side note, I changed the bottom board on my 'Obama' hive and
discovered beetles hiding between the bottom board and the hollow tile
block (aka cinder blocks). Lots of them. First time I really lifted a hive
up to find that many. Be interested to know if any one else has observed
this.

Howard in a Hawaii