From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:40:11 -0500
Press release

Koppert biological Systems, in its history, has produced many beneficial insectsthat have reduced
dependence on chemical pesticides in the production of various crops. The company also provides
bumblebees, which are used as valuable pollinators for greenhouse tomatoes and more recently also for
outdoor crops. Bumblebees, for our customers, have always been produced in the USA. In our Michigan
facility, Koppert raises the native bumblebee Bombus impatiens to meet the needs of growers
throughout the country.

Concerns regarding bumblebee health have been raised in recent years and a hypothesis has been
proposed that links commercial bumblebee use to the decline of wild bumblebees. The basis of the
proposed hypothesis is that the intercontinental movement of bumblebees has caused the
contamination of bumblebees used commercially in North America by diseases present in bumblebees
species produced for European markets.

This hypothesis hinges on three prerequisites; first, intercontinental movement of bumblebees destined
for US growers, second, the presence of non-native strains of Nosema bombi, Chritidia bombi and other
diseases in these imported bees and third that such diseases are the cause of the dramatic decline of
wild bumblebee populations.

Koppert Biological Systems states categorically that it has never commercialized, brought to market or
released any bumblebees that have been in contact with European bumblebees.

Koppert pioneered the development and implementation of Pasteur s technique of pure culture
isolation, for eliminating diseases from commercial bumblebee production. Additionally, the quality
assurance system for our US production facility consists of a 3 tiered approach consisting of quality
audits on a daily basis by our own staff, plus biweekly government inspection and biannual verification
of test results by a Michigan State University entomologist.

Koppert sBombus impatiens production is inspected by Michigan State Department of Agriculture,
which certifies the bees as disease free for export purposes. For certification the production of the bees
is audited and its results reflect the state of the entire production both those hives destined for export
as well as those that are moved interstate.

Koppert Biological Systems states that the commercial rearing of bumblebees is done in a safe and
controlled manner allowing growers the ability to pollinate their crops.

Koppert Biological Systems is concerned about the decline of native bumblebee species, an issue that
coincides with a worldwide reduction in many different types of pollinators. Many different species of
bees, butterflies, beetles and flies all suffer from the impact of global climate change, the widespread
use of non-selective agrochemicals, the loss of their natural habitat and other factors.

As a company we are committed to our responsibility to protect the environment. It is our business to
do so.

If further regulation is deemed the best means to safeguard bumblebee health that Koppert is happy to
continue to comply and help in any way possible to make implementation a success.

http://www.koppertonline.com/