From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:20:20 -0500
Hello All,
I do not know about mushroom spores but the common knowledge is AFB bee
boxes can be scorched and reused. Other forms of killing AFB spores work I
imagine also.

When I speak of *burning* I should have said scorching for boxes/ lids . In
fact for years we used Lye water with success. With Lye you can save the
frames.

Labor costs today are high. In a commercial operation costs of renewing AFB
equipment is simply not worth it as compared to putting new equipment in the
operation in my opinion when it comes to frames.
Boxes & lids yes.

However for the hobby beekeeper renewing AFB equipment can be a sound
method.
I have never placed bees in equipment with obvious AFB spores as Allen talks
about. I was taught by my mentors to renew such equipment first or better
yet avoid completely.

Rothenbulers AFB tolerant bee peaked beekeeper interest as would mean the
end to AFB in bee hives. I do not believe the bee which will survive a full
blown AFB problem exists today. Possibly a light problem can be held in
check or the full blown problem kept in check longer .

Rothenbulers AFB bee would be a boon for beekeeping as would any bee which
could handle even one of today's beekeeping problems. The problem with
claims
made by queen producers is that many of us have been burned by dropping our
guards on the problem the bee was supposed to eliminate ( or at least
improve).

Most commercial beekeepers do not have the luxury ( nor is it recommended by
researchers) to simply check each hive in a holding yard and only treat a
few.  Once a problem such as AFB is detected in a yard of many hives the
researcher recommendation is to treat All the hives in the yard.

bob