From:
James Plaisted <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:41:00 -0400
"Both of these fence systems are top of the line in terms of reliably keeping bears out AND unfortunately in price. But, should still be cheaper than a reefer."

I would add that it depends on the usable life of these systems as to wether they are cheaper or not.  A reefer should last a long time, with very basic maintance.  I have all but given up on electric fences.  The available chargers don't put out enough voltage to discourage the most persitant bears, unless you want to pay alot of $$ for one.  Solar chargers don't last long enough to justify the high price of them.  I have found that if you put up a fence with poly strands, that the bears will often just walk through them...so I put poultry netting around the outside to keep them from doing that.  The electric sheep fence being sold works well, but is easily grounded out by growing vegitation, so requires lots of mowing, and I just don't think it is high enough, but that's just MHO.

There are no easy answers, and certainly no cheap ones when dealing with bears.  J Waggle has the right idea, but you can't kill'em all, although at times I would like to.

Jim

http://www.northernqueens.com/