From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:38:16 -0500
"I'm still unclear, if N. Ceranae doesn't cause dysentery, how the combs
become contaminated."

    Chris and all, last spring I had a couple of hives that showed
considerable streaking on the front and on the top bars.  I thought for
sure they had Nosema.  I had just finished reading Randy Oliver’s excellent
series on Nosema and was inspired to take a sample of the feces down to the
local middle school science lab and look at it under a microscope.  The
science teacher there is a friend and a fellow beekeeper.  Neither of us
could find anything that looked like spores.  I saw a lot of what I thought
was digested pollen spores but nary a single N. spore.  I didn’t try
looking at the contents of the guts of any bees, which I should have.  But
what this tells me is that it is highly likely that bees do not have to
have Nosema to crap in and on their hive.  One of those two or three hives
did wind up not making it into the summer, but the other(s) did well and
are still around, further indication that they did not have Nosema.  At one
point or another I have seen feces, not necessarily a lot, in just about
every hive I have had.  Here in the N.W.  U.S.A. we tend to have long,
cool, wet winters.  Bees stay cooped up for months on end.  I know that the
preferred method of elimination for bees is to take a short flight, but you
gotta go when you gotta go, and sometimes you just can’t bring yourself to
hang it out there in the cold wet wind.
  I can also imagine other ways besides fecal contamination of comb that
might easily result in transmission of spores from bee to bee and colony to
colony.  Beyond that, I do think this whole issue of N. apis and N. ceranae
means of transmission could stand some closer scrutiny beyond that which it
is getting here on the merry-go-round we call Bee-L.

Stev Noble