From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:13:51 EDT
---- We've lots of data about soft chemicals in bee hives - we filed a  draft

report with the NHB, and we are working on final  confirmations.

Some members of this list make the mistake of thinking  that when something
is analyzed for chemical residues (e.g.  pesticides), one should see ALL of
the
chemical contaminants in a  sample.

This is simply not true.  Each instrument, and each setup  covers a
different
array of chemicals.  There is no one analysis  for all.  If  the test
protocol
is set up to look for chemical  A-G, it won't see H-Z at  all.  Doesn't mean
H-Z are absent, it  just means the particular assay won't  pick them up.

The standard  suite of analysis protocols for pesticides is aimed at
specific
compounds, and it still takes several different analysis protocols,   plus at
least two different ways of preparing/extracting the samples, in  order  to
do
anything even close to broad spectrum pesticide  testing.  Remember,  at this
time, most pesticides in use are  synthetic organic compounds.

Older pesticides were based on inorganic  materials like sulfur, arsenic -
look for those, you need both a  different sample preparation and a very
different  instrument.

We've been looking at semi-volatile and volatile organic  compounds (e.g.,
thymol, many pollutants such as break down products  of gasoline and diesel,
things off-gassing from plastics, HMF,   etc.).  Most of these,  probably
all,
will NOT show up in the  typical analysis for organic  pesticides.

We've also looked at HMF  using more conventional approaches - and we can do
these routinely -  takes a very simple instrument, one that has little or no
use  for  looking at conventional pesticides.

We also looked at aflatoxins, things  that fungi are likely to produce - yet
another sample preparation and  instrument - we sent these out to a lab that
specializes in these  things.

So, just because someone did not report something, doesn't mean  it doesn't
exist.

Jerry

J.J.  Bromenshenk