From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:26:44 EDT
Barry calls for a quarantine to control CCD.  That would require  shutting
down movement of colonies from at least 70% of the nation's  states.  And, this
assumes that CCD is a disease and that the states  that have not
experienced/reported CCD are safe.

The verdict is still out on whether its a disease - preliminary data
suggests it may be, but not everyone agrees.  And, CCD remains unknown in  Australia
- maybe because they don't have mites.  More importantly, CCD  is unknown in
other countries that have mites and have imported Australian  bees for close to
20 years (although it may be in these countries and has not  been reported -
but if there were widespread losses, we'd hear about  them).

Its premature to ban imports from Australia and a quarantine is not
practical.  Besides, assuming the worst, CCD is a disease, its been spread  from coast
to coast already. I know, I've seen it all across the U.S. - and  I mean,
I've looked at the colonies, sampled.  Not much to be gained now by  restricting
movement.  Kind of like the security show at airports,  makes people feel like
somethings being done; but doesn't really solve the  problem.

Jerry