From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:31:32 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< It often is not feasible to get the wire embedded across the he entire
width
 of the frame.  However, as long as it is 75% or so embedded the bees will
 work it just fine.  In fact, I know one guy who puts the frames in without
 embedding the wire and the bees still draw it out just fine.  Embedding may
 do more for the beekeeper than for the bees! >>

   It always struck me as odd that bees would seem to ignore and work around
horizontal wires, but once a vertical wire is exposed, they keep chewing it
away. I often snip out vertical wires that are exposed in old combs, as it
seems to help get them to fill in the gap, rather than expanding it.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:   http://pollinator.com