Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
ERic Simms:
if I lose half of my hives, make only
> half as much honey but sell it for double the price that I
> used to get for honey, I am better off than before, because
> operating half as many hives means less operating costs. 
> Does this make any sense?

Reply:
No it does not! for gasoline prices have more then doubled since honey was $1.50 even a few years back, but honey has not. On top of that container prices are going up, and labor costs are going up for working our bees and equipment. HFCS will be probably double this fall for feeding if not more, so don't see gain there as much, for taking honey and then feeding back artificial stuff; and other sugars will be up also do to increased costs of producing and manufacture. Plus what you going to do with equipment not in use now? Let it rot or try to reuse it. Either way in end it will cost to set aside or replace, or redo with increased prices for paint and materials. 

So how are you better off, unless working in backyard and using containers secondhand somehow for selling honey? and if selling retail above $1.50, will your increased selling price balance out the getting for selling it? 

Certainly cannot see what you are saying, unless less work to you means physically better while all pricing across the board in our daily lives has now increased, while honey I don't think really has for main industry. Somehow you are looking too narrow and not seeing whole picture. But just my take. 

d-

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2