From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 08:17:07 -0700
--- On Sat, 10/24/09, Karen Kimball <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 My question is - this will make
> the bees start the winter in the bottom, the two mediums,
> and work up to the top box which is a full deep?
Also I am
> wondering how to get them back into two deep boxes in the
> spring? Or do I just let them continue on in this set up?

This late in the season, I prefer not to make any drastic brood nest manipulations.  I like to keep the brood nest set up intact, and simply shift it to the bottom deep if necessary, and check to see that full capped frames are center-most so the cluster can make smooth transitions from frame to frame and into the upper deep.

Commenting on how to get them into the two deep boxes in the spring: It is a good rule to; and I like that you are anticipating what effects of frame manipulation might have months into the future.  But in some cases, priorities supersede this rule, and the priority now, is winter preparation, and to insure smooth and unimpeded cluster movement across frames this winter by adjusting capped honey frames accordingly.  If you can do this, while at the same time achieving your goal of having the bees move naturally into deeps by spring, then good, if not, it would be better not to push the bees too much and deal with it in the spring.

Best Wishes,
Joe