From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 08:37:54 -0600
Janet Montgomery & Dan Veilleux wrote:

> I have read several plans for honey melters for 5-10 gallons of crystallized
> honey using an insulated box and light bulbs governed by a thermostat. Since
> all of my honey crystallizes I really want to build such a device..My
> problem is where does one find an inexpensive thermostat that can be rigged
> to a light bulb..

I got mine from:

Surplus Center
1015 West "O" Street
P.O. Box 82209
Lincoln, NE  68501
1-800-488-3407
Item #11-2016

I paid $9.99 for it, it's new, the range is 90º - 130º and it has an indicator light. I simply
mounted it in a 1900 electrical box (4X4X1-1/2) and screwed it to the side of my freezer
cabinet and feed the probe through a 1/4" hole in the cabinet to the inside. I used three
bulb sockets at the bottom which gets it up to the desired temp. fast and have checked it
with a thermometer to calibrate it. Works great.

Allen Dick wrote:

>Well, resale is a factor.  I bought a bunch of hobbyist-made outfits
>when I was building up and although every one seemed to think he had
>a better way, they all wasted good material by not sticking to
>standard dimensions and practice.  Most of it has been burnt by now.
>None of it fit with the other stuff.

Allen makes a good point here. If you are making more than just a couple of boxes and
want to be able to sell your woodenware when you decide to get out of beekeeping, it would
be smart to keep to standard sizes. Beekeeping has a way of growing. You plan to only
have a couple of hives and then three years down the road you have thirty. So if you want
to be able to sell your stuff to Allen down the road, don't make them look as if a hobbyist
made it! Use box joints. Just a little plug there. :>)

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA