Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 08:56:19 -0400
Anglin wrote,

    A dye would have to be found that was non-toxic, visible, broke down at
>the same rate as the pesticide, and didn't leave any objectionable residues
>in the hive- That is one heck of a tall order!

Dear Anglin & All,
Yes, it could be a tall order in certian applications. But remember the same
elements that break down dyes, break down pesticides! Pesticides also break
down by light,
oxidation, etc. so the conditions of the hive would have the same effect on
both. Dyes that breakdown from the same elements, at similar rates to the
pesticide should be possible. I don't think the technology is the problem.
The real question is; "How important is it to know where and when these
pesticides have been applied!" Do you and I have the right to know if the
mosquito truck sprayed our hive, car or house? Do we have the right to know
if a farmer sprayed his crop the day before harvest? When you open your
hives would you like to see where the Check-Mate or Apstan has gone? If it's
still there? If it's in the brood chamber or made its way to the honey
supers?
As for residues left behind from the dyes: It's hard to find a package in
the grocery store without a dye in it. Even "Natural" products use "Natural"
dyes. I am far more concerned with the pesticide residues than a residue
from a "tested & approved"  dye.
There are two things about pesticides to ALWAYS remember. The first is;
Their only reason for being is to kill! They were designed specifically to
kill living things. People spend billions of dollars each year to find ones
that kill better! The second was stated during the documentery show "Nature"
on PBS. In a show about insects they stated; "Some of the most toxic
substances known to man are insecticides". Thats a very real and powerful
statement. Think of all the toxic things you can, then put insecticides at
the top of the list.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against pesticides. They have a time and
a place. But, we should have the right to SEE that time and place!

Ed Parker
Serenity Gardens