From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:03:50 -0400
> Hello All...
  > My concerns are as follows;
> 1/...  Will they go into another brood cycle that could overcrowd the hive
> with young bees for the winter and possibly strain winter stores?

Overcrowd the hive with young bees? I hardly think so. The more young bees
the better.

> 2/...   Will these
> abnormally warm temps create a mite "bloom" late in the season, after the
> Aug/Sept treatements?

Possibly so. I've seen this happen before. You may have to treat in the
spring.

> 3/...  Should I have waited till the temperature actually dropped and
rains
> set-in before wrapping the hive against the harsh realities of the winter
> rains and cold?

How would you  know? Such weather is nothing you can predict.

> 4/...  Do bees consume more food when they are cold or warm over the
winter
> period?

The warmer temps alone won't effect the amount of stores eaten. If the bees
continue to raise brood then certainly more stores will be consumed. Over
the last three or four years, I have seen this very thing happen twice. Warm
autumn and winter....increased brood rearing....very strong colonies going
into winter....very strong colonies in spring....very low winter loss. In
both instances the bees ate much more honey due to increased brood rearing.
Watch them in the spring for needed food.

    Also...Bill Mraz took his miticide out early during one of these events,
and was re-infested....possibly from neighboring bee yards, or because there
was still brood with mites that hatched, never getting rid of the mites.

                                        Mike