From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:38:14 -0400
question:
>If I remember correctly from a class I took honey supers should not be put on
>until you have 2" of capped honey in your top box (along the top of the
>frames) comments?

reply:
I have always felt that there was no harm in putting supers on *in
advance* of the anticipated honey flow. I would put one on and see if
they use it. If they start filling it up, add another. I do not
believe there is any harm done by supering "prematurely".

I also do not believe there is any advantage to putting the new one
under the old one. In fact, a long term study done in the vicinity of
Ottawa demonstrated *no difference* between under and over supering
and pointed out that even if there were a difference, under supering
requires *considerably* more labor.

But I am sure this has been discussed at length before.
--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>