From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:40:54 -0700
At 04:59 PM 8/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>HAS ANYONE HEARD HOW THE AFRICAN BEES HAVE DONE AS FAR AS PEOPLE AND CROPS
>ALONG  WITH ANIMALS SOUTH OF THE BORDER?

In Mexico they are killing everything within flight range of several miles,
, please send relief money fast, as it was in the beginning and will be at
the end. More to consider, the bees of Northern Mexico have always been
aggressive and many beekeepers in the past have considered this an
advantage as it kept unauthorized people away from the bees. It was
possible to pay a little here and a little there and keep your bees right
along the road without any problems. Today from what has been reported by
BS and is available on line to read, Northern Mexican bees have all of a
sudden become much more aggressive in their behavior and are all 100%
Africanized.

As far as in the US, in California they do well at pollinating the almonds
but must be moved out soon as the bloom is done to protect irrigators and
other farm workers. This for most beekeepers is something we have wanted to
do for years but the almond growers insist that we stay until the last
blossom falls which do NOT set fruit. With the fear and reality of the
African bee hybrids, fire ants, and the like farmers are not as sure they
want the bees in their crops any longer then necessary because of the
liability. If this trends continues beekeepers will have more time to do
beekeeping in the spring here in California or at some other location.

There is an information overload about the so called Africanized bees try
this Ural for a sample:

http://groupweb.com/eco/bees.htm

ttul, the OLd Drone

Beekeeping Information
http://beenet.com

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!